Saturday, August 13, 2016

Shark Week Kickoff Party! (It's a holiday at my house!)

Hello friends!  Today I am sharing pictures (and a scrapbook layout) of an annual holiday at my house - Shark Week!!!  Be sure to read all the way down for lots of ideas on how to decorate your house for a killer party.


Our family goes nuts over Discover channel's annual Shark Week programming.  Sharks are just such amazing, powerful creatures and we love watching and learning about them.  For the last couple of years we have hosted a Shark Week Kickoff Party on the day it starts.  Such good fun!

To decorate our house, we put blue cellophane over all of our downstairs windows.  When the light hits them, it creates an underwater feel and tints the house in blue.  It's a pretty inexpensive way to create a big impact.  I also added some Nemo and Spongebob characters to the windows, as well.  I created them using my Cricut Expression. They have since come out with a newer version, the Cricut Explore Air Wireless Cutting Machine. I used the Best of PixarSpongeBob Squarepants, and
Life is a Beach cricut cartridges.

To keep my die cuts in good shape, year after year, I laminated them.


No party is complete without some themed cupcakes.  These Sprinkles cupcakes were for the adults.  Their gluten free Red Velvet cupcakes are to die for!


My daughter made the cupcakes for the kids.  Da dum...



I made an area for the kid snacks.  Grapes on skewers were labeled seaweed, goldfish were labeled shark bait, and large pretzel rods were labeled driftwood.  The "take a bite" napkins were purchased from Oriental Trading, while the Gummi Blue Shark, 5 Lb were bought from Amazon.  They were a big hit with the kids. To save a little money, I purchased the tablecloths, cutlery, and utensils at the dollar store.  



Another great thing to buy at the dollar store are the inflatable sharks and fish.  I hung them up on the walls, as you can see in the picture below.  The "jellyfish" were created by adding ribbon to shower caps that I collected from hotel stays.  I hung them up with clear fishing line.  I also blew up and hung tiny balloons to mimic bubbles. You can find them here - Qualatex 5" Balloons, Diamond Clear Jewel - Pack of 100



The sharks on the wall were a vinyl decoration purchased from Amazon.  It can be peeled from the wall and reused. You can find it here - RoomMates RMK2558GM Finding Nemo Sharks Peel and Stick Giant Wall Decals


My sister got me this cool Fierce Vinyl Shark for the party, as well.  Vinyl decals are another great way to cheaply decoration your walls, while having a huge cool factor.


No party is complete without a watermelon shark.  You can find the directions on my Shark Week Shark Week Pinterest Board.


You can purchase some netting for your table from the dollar store, along with bags of seashells.


Ocean water for the kids (Kool- aid). 

Blood in the Water for the adults. (Citrus flavored Vodka, Blue Curacao, Sweet and Sour, pineapple juice and grenade on top).


Create a scene along your walls with crepe paper and die cut sea creatures.


Think you are safe going to the bathroom?




Nope. This guy's waiting for you. (Shark Toilet Topper Peel 'N Place Party Accessory)



No party is complete without photo ops!  These were bought at Oriental Trading.




And finally, don't forget to document your event with lots of photos and of course, a scrapbook layout!

Thanks for stopping by!  If you love Shark week as much as we do, please let us know in the comments section.  And if you have another great idea for next year's party, please share it with us :)

Disclosure: This website may be compensated for linking to other sites or for sales of products we link to. 



SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

1 comment:

Stacy H-W said...

I love how creative and fun this party is! That layout is awesome! I really like how you used that photo realistic background paper and then layered the seaweed and sharks. Rocked it!