Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Organizing My Desk with an Altered Cube

Hello crafty Friends!  I hope your year is off to a wonderful start and your goals for the year are going well.  It's been such a fun Christmas break for the us.  I hated to see the kids go back to school!  We had so much fun and everyone was healthy.  We had our big annual trip to Oahu, staying again at the Disney Aulani.  It's hard to beat spending Christmas day in a lazy river and lounging at the beach.   You will definitely be seeing some of those pics in layouts soon. 

Now that we are back in the swing of things and the kiddos are in school, I spent a little time painting and decorating this wooden cube that I purchased at Joann's for a few dollars.  I am trying to clean up my desk a bit and wanted to create something that was functional and pretty.


Initially, it was just a plain wood cube.  I used Stargazer and Rich Cobalt Luminarte Silks paint for the outside and inside to give it a pretty shimmer.  I went with a darker color for the inside, as I wasn't sure what I was going to put in it.  The sides measure about 5" square.  I decorated all the sides using Prima paper with Spellbinders dies, Prima flowers, and stamped quotes from Crafter's Companion Everyday Sentiments.   For this first side, the quote reads, "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened".  I painted the Prima butterflies and Tim Holtz wings with black paint and then sprinkled iridescent glitter over them.  



The quote for this second side reads, "Live like there is no tomorrow."  I also painted the Tim Holtz keys with black paint and added glitter.  The two clear grey flowers are from Maya Road.


For the third side of my cube, I added the quote, "Life is short, live it.  Love is rare, grab it.  Anger is bad, dump it.  Fear is awful, face it.  Memories are sweet, cherish it."  The pretty resin bird is from Prima.



For the final side, I used the quote, "The most important thing is to enjoy your life - it's all that matters."

 I haven't quite decided what to use my pretty cube for, but I'm toying with keeping my paint and foam brushes in it.

So what do you think?  Which quote is your favorite?

I am entering my altered cube in the following challenges:

Desert Island Crafts challenge - Use 3 of 10 items (#1, 3, 8, 10)
Simon Says Stamp - Blues
Sentimental Sundays -  Alter something (with a sentiment)

Thanks for stopping by :)

Denise


10 comments:

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Great altered cube! Great sentiments! Carri~Abusybee
Skittles!

verybellemakes said...

This is such a lovely project! I've been trying to clear my desk too, since the Christmas rush calmed down, but I'm no further on! Hope this is helping restore some order to your desk! Thanks for joining the Sentimental Sundays Challenge this week, hope to see you again soon.

Victoria DT

Georgiana said...

Such a pretty cube to have on your desk!

Lisa said...

Wow, this is gorgeous!! I want one for my desk!! I love all the quotes you used...too hard to pick a favorite!! Have a great weekend :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Cindy Gay said...

Perfection!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

I love this - so clever and pretty at the same time! Your Christmas day sounds like THE BEST!!!

Stacy H-W said...

This cube is beautiful!! And functional! Perfect!!

Anna-Karin said...

Beautiful project! I really like all the quotes that you used, how great to have them right there on your desk. Gorgeous embellishments. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

Angi MakingMayhem said...

What a lovely way to dress up the box! I think my favorite quote is the one...'don't cry because it's over...' Thanks for sharing your creation with us for the 'Make It New' (alter something) Challenge on the Sentimental Sundays Challenge Blog! Hope to see you again soon.

Inky hugs,
Angi
SS DT
Making Mayhem | Because Life is Messy

Angi Barrs said...

Wow! This is gorgeous. Love how you made it.