Monday, December 2, 2013

Creating book markers

With an eye on the calendar, I am making book markers this week.  I still have quite a few friends and family who like reading actual books, rather than a digital versions, so I thought a bookmark would be a fun way to add a touch of personalization to a holiday gift.  And they are really fun to make!


For the background of my book markers, I used Crafter's Companion's Book Markers (these come with glossy white paper and plastic book marks that you slide the paper into when you are done decorating it), Distressed Ink refills, a mini mister filled with water, alcohol blending solution, and a well-worn box with a few paper towels laid down on the bottom of it.  (It's a bit messy!) 


The first thing I did was spray water on my white book mark.  You can see the drops sitting on the top of the surface because the paper is glossy and nonporous.


After spraying the water, I added small random drops of Distressed Ink refills all over the book mark.  You can use as many or as few colors as you'd like.  For this book mark, I used three colors.


To get the colors to blend into one another, I next sprayed my book mark with an alcohol blending solution.  You can see the colors move around quite a bit more with the blending solution.


While the colors are sliding around into one another, I use the sides of my paper towels to blot the colors, especially along the edges where the colors pool.  Depending on how much you use of each color, your book mark can look quite different, even with the same colors.  Here is another one I made using the same three colors.


When you are happy with the colors of your book mark, you will want to give it some time to dry.  I let mine dry overnight just to be on the safe side.  Now you are ready for some stamping.  For my first book mark, I stamped my images with Iris Staz-On Ink using a Claudine Hellmuths Rock-A-Block acrylic block.  The stamps are from the Stamp-It Australia Imagine Oriental Delights and Sentimental Swirls stamp sets.


Once the Staz-On ink dried, I then slid the decorated piece of paper into the plastic book mark that comes with it and added a pre-made tassel to the end.  You could also use fibers, ribbon, or embossing thread.


For my second book mark, I used a floral stamp from Sheena Douglass' Sakura stamp set with the Hydrangea Blue StazOn Ink Pad.  I also sprayed this second book mark with Gold Spray and Sparkle Glitter Varnish before inserting it into its plastic case.


Here are the two book marks again.


I hope you enjoyed my book mark tutorial and are ready to give it a try!  Everyone loves to receive a handmade gift during the holiday :)

Have a fantastic day!

Denise

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! I love the design!! I am an avid reader, so I just love these!! What great gift ideas!! Have a wonderful day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Stacy H-W said...

Super cool technique! They turned out great!