Monday, May 13, 2013

The Kids' Summer Bucket List

Are you ready for Summer?  I know the kids and I are!  Our very favorite thing to do in the weeks before Summer kickoff is to make a huge list of all the things we want to do during the break.  This year our list is 70 items long!  Now we usually don't get to everything on the list, but we have a great time trying.  If you'd love to try this with your kiddos, read on on to see how :)


I started with a tin I had lying around.  Try to use what you have on hand.  You could also use a leftover Spaghetti jar, coffee container, or glass vase.  


Next I measured out a piece of 6x6 paper to line the bottom with.


For the main image, I used an adorable stamp from Crafter's Companion called Sweet as Sunshine.  I colored the image with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers - Hair: IG5, IG7, IG8, IG9, IG10, GB1, GB8, GB10, EB5; Skin: FS1, FS3, EB1, EB2; crab and hair bows: CR7, CR9; Sun: CT1, CT4; Girl's clothes: CG1, CG3; Net: IG1, IG2, Sand: TN1, NT2; bucket: OR1, OR3.



For the embellishments, I made layered bows and a couple flowers with a brad.


I also cut out a couple tone-on-tone patterned paper that were just a little bit bigger than the main image to create a double mat.  I didn't measure them, just eyeballed them for a quick and easy mat.  Then just add your image and embellishments to the lid or side of your container with some strong adhesive.


This is what it looks like when the lid is closed.  



To create the fun stuff inside, the kids and I (ages 5 and 9) brainstormed for a few days about what we what our summer to include.  I also poured over the newest Westways magazine and local community sites.  I included a picture of my list here to give you a starting off point, but some of these ideas may not be doable in your neck of the woods.  Once you type up your list, just cut them into pieces and add them to your tin.



Hope this inspires you to create a bucket list with your kids.  If you do, please leave me a note below.  I'd love to see what you come up with!  Have a wonderful week :)


Denise

6 comments:

Angi Barrs said...

Now this is a wonderful idea. Adorable!

Stacy H-W said...

I just love this!! Very cool. Let's do one or two while you guys are here! xo stacy

Lisa said...

What an awesome idea!! This is so fabulous my friend!! I love how you decorated it...the image is so sweet!! You need to let us know how many items you crossed off at the end of the summer ;) Happy Monday :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Christy said...

Awesome list and idea!!!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

WoW! How fun is this! We only have 8 more days left of school then summer is here! Carri~Abusybee

Katie said...

What a fabulous idea! I would want to open this box every day of the summer.