Monday, February 11, 2013

CAS stamping with handmade masks

Good morning!  It's three days until Valentine's Day, do you have all your cards ready to go?  If not, I have a really cool technique I learned over at Clean and Simple 2 class to share with you.  Every day they share 4 or 5 different techniques and cards to try out!  I did alter my card a bit so I could use what I had on hand, which was some left over plastic packaging I repurposed for my card.  But let's start at the beginning.  The idea of this technique is to create a mask and stamp only within that shape using your border or long stamps.



To create my mask, I didn't have own any masking sheets, so I decide to create my own with my Cricut.  Using a larger plastic packaging that I had saved for just such an emergency, I ran it through my Cricut and cut out a 4" heart using the Plantin Schoolbook cricut cartridge.  You can see the shine of the mask a little bit in the picture below.  You could create one with a large punch as well.

Using temporary adhesive, I adhered my mask to a 5 x 5 3/4 inch piece of white premium cardstock.  I also wanted to create a "love" mask for the inside of the heart, so I applied sticker letters which had very little adhesive to them.  (I stuck and unstuck them to my hand to make them less sticky, lol.)  Note that mine are pink, but the color makes absolutely no difference because they won't be staying.  This is a great way to use left over alphabet stickers.


Next you will need to decide what color you want to mist the background of your mask with.  You will want to make sure it's not too dark so that your stamps will show on top of it.  For mine, I used Strawberry Creme Sprinklers.  As a side note, sometimes mists get old and the nozzle gets clogged up so it won't spray anymore.   This was the case with mine.  Just shake it and add a little bit of the mist to a Mini Mister and spray with that.  Once the mist has dried, take a paper towel and pat your mask gently to pick up any leftover mist on the mask.  

Now you can begin stamping across your mask.  Using your stamps and ink, just stamp right across the heart.  You will be stamping across the mask too, but that is fine.  Once you lift it up, you won't see it.   I started with the middle of my heart because I knew I wanted this gorgeous border stamp with the Eiffel tower to be in the center.  It is from the Stamp-It Australia EZMount French Travels.  


Using the same stamp set,  I used four more stamps across the heart.  A couple of the postage stamps were smaller, so I just stamp them a few times across my heart.


Once you have covered your image, gently peal back your mask and you will see how your border stamps stayed within the shape you choose.


Next, carefully peal off the stickers on your image.  Pretty cool, right?


To finish my card, I added the letters, "YOU" that were leftovers from another sticker sheet to the side of my heart and added the cardstock to a pink 5 x 5 1/4 inch folded card.



And that's it.  You'll have a pretty, non bulky card that will wow the recipient of your card :)

I am entering my card in the following challenges:

Simon says stamp challenge - Have a Heart
PanPastel UK challenge blog - Love and Romance
Red carpet studio challenge - Where the Heart is
Come and get it challenges - Love is in the Air
CAS on Sunday - Be Mine Valentine

Have a wonderful week!

Denise

16 comments:

Angi said...

Adorable! Love the lettering on this!

Lisa said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Denise!! The masking is fabulous!! I love, love the design and the stamps you used!! Happy Monday :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Stacy H-W said...

I adore this card!! You really did a fanastic job. LOVE IT!!!

Nat said...

A very pretty CAS card, love the way you have done the background. Thanks for joining us at Come & Get It.
Natx GDT

Sonia said...

Gorgeous card^_^ Simple,but more romantic^_^
Sonia

Mariken said...

Lovely card, with that big heart! Thank you for joining our challange at CAS on Sunday.
Mariken.

debby4000 said...

Love your gorgeous heart card what a clever way of making your own masks.

Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp challenge.

luv
Debby

Claire said...

Wow what a beautiful card, such a creative project! Thanks for joining us at PanPastel UK this week
Claire xx

Crafty_Fairie said...

Really fantastic card thanks for joining this week at PanPastel Uk.

Kerry DT Leader

Crea-Sandra said...

Gorgeous card, great idea!
Thanks for joining us at Red Carpet Studio!
Hugs xx Sandra

Barb said...

Pretty cool indeed! I love the many details, but how you still managed to keep everything CAS. Beautiful design! Thanks for joining us at CAS on Sunday :)

Tonya said...

I love your card. J'adore Paris. ;-) Thanks for sharing your technique, and joining us at Red Carpet Studio.

Tonya
RCS CDT

SmilynStef said...

Great photos ... great card ... awesome technique to showcase those stamps.

Angel 007 said...

Your card is beautiful Denise, and the work steps you showed very nicely ..
I would be very happy to be able to welcome you on my blog.

Wishing you a nice weekend - Carmen

Christiana said...

Awesome card and a fun technique, Denise!

ionabunny said...

Lovely technique, might have to give some of these a . Thanks for the tips