Sunday, January 27, 2013

One little word

When I came across the website, A Year in the Life of an Art Journal, I thought what a GREAT idea!  Twice a month, they give you a journaling, photo, and art prompt which you use to create a page in a journal.  At the end of the year you have a wonderful keepsake for yourself.  I love this idea because no matter how busy you are, two pages a month are totally doable.   That said it took me forever to figure out what my word for 2013 would be.   I was even starting to wonder if I'd decide on one at all.  But I kept reflecting and finally figured it.


At the end of last year I took a family vacation that was so relaxing and fun, I had a feeling of joy and serenity weeks after we came home.   Gradually though, I started getting back into my regular routine and stressing over the silly stuff like so many of us moms or wives do.  This year I want to make a concerted effort to prioritize what's really important and what I value in my life, and try to eliminate needless stress and worry.  Focus on the everyday joy my friends and family bring.  We'll see how this idea develops over the year.

To start my page, I borrowed some water paints and a paint brush from my five year old.  She had already mixed the colors up a bit for me :)  I did a few quick swipes across the page with a couple of blues and a hint of purple.  


At the bottom of my page I stamped this image from Crafter's Companion new Lucious Landscapes stamp set with Tuxedo Black Memento Ink.  It just looks so peaceful and tranquil to me.


Next I typed up a definition of Serenity I found online and printed it out onto this preprinted sheet of vellum I've had in my stash for quite a long time.  I also inked up where I tore it with Iced Spruce Distress Ink.


This I stamped this beautiful bunch of butterflies from the Time To Dream stamp set with Iced Spruce Distress ink as well.  I made sure to ink "off" the page so it would seem like they were flying off the page.


Next I added quite a bit of sparkle to my page by spraying it with Perfect Pearl Mist.  It not only brought some sparkle to my page, but it also created wrinkles and bubbles in my vellum, which I quite liked.  Then I layered a flower, the word serenity, a butterfly, and a bit of ribbon to the page.  


I had so much fun creating my first page, I can't wait to start on A Year in the Life of an Art Journal's next prompt.

I am entering my journal page at

Perfect Sentiments challenge - blue, silver, white
Dutch Dare Card challenges - Winged things
All that Scraps Challenge blog - Anything goes
The Paper Shelter - Anything goes
7 kids challenge blog - Something old, something new (new - stamps, old - printed vellum)

Thanks for stopping by!

Denise

18 comments:

Katie Knight said...

Beautiful! My one word for this year is discernment. I am happily distracted by all kinds of things. I need discernment to pick and choose the best way to spend my time!

LINDA M said...

A beautiful journal page. Love all the different elements.
Thanks for joining us at the Dutch Dare.

LINDA M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacy H-W said...

Great word and lovely page.

Paula Bee said...

Lovely page! Thanks for joining us at The Perfect Sentiment!

Kelly Foster said...

Wow, this is gorgeous!! What a beautiful background and perfectly serene :)

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

This is awesome! Your page is beautiful and you picked a wonderful word. and your entire piece matches it perfectly.Carri~Abusybee

Jennipher said...

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing at The Perfect Sentiment.

Angi said...

Beautiful! Love the word and the butterfly!

cebelica said...

This is magical. I love it! Hugs! xx

Staci said...

Beautifully done! I love it!

Rachel Whetzel said...

I'm so excited to have you with us this year!! I can't wait to see what you create when you've been at it for a while! Your first art journal page is AWESOME!

Christy said...

I absolutely love this page!

Carla said...

So pretty and serene- love the soft colors. Thanks for joining us at Dutch Dare!

Colleen Holmes said...

Very pretty and elegant. Love the soft colors and simplicity! Thank you for joining us at 7 Kids College Fund Challenge - Hugz

Vicky F. AKA Crafting Vicky said...

Wow love how this came together! What a fabulous idea to do a journal like that.

Thanks for joining us at Dutch Dare Card Challenge this week. Hope to see you again next week. DT Crafting Vicky

Trena in Naperville said...

Denise! This is gorgeous! I love it! Thanks for sharing the step out directions, and thanks for leaving me such sweet comments.
XXOO
Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Angel 007 said...

Denise, that's a beautiful picture. I like it very well.

Hughs - Carmen