Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Rainbow Butterfly Wreath (stash buster)

Crafter's Companion USA challenge blog has merged with the Crafter's Companion Monthly Challenge blog!  You can now win one of THREE gift certificates to their online store, no mater which country you live in.  November's challenge is to create something using your favorite color combination.  Make sure to include an item from Crafter's Companion UK or USA store to be eligible.   My favorite color combination is a rainbow of colors, so I chose to make a Butterfly Wreath.  This is a great project for using bits and pieces of card stock you may have left over from previous projects.


To begin my project, I pulled out a bunch of papers and started stamping the different butterflies from Sheena Douglass A Little Bit Scenic Flying Colors using my Tuxedo Black Memento Pad.  Over the next couple of days, I cut them all out whenever I was watching TV. 


For the wreath base, I wrapped a simple styrofoam wreath with some broad ribbon.  I only used a bit of glue when I started to wind the ribbon around the wreath and at the end when I had covered it completely. 



Next, I started layering my butterflies, using the largest size of butterfly on my stamp set.  I used 2-4 large butterflies for each color I had.


Once I had covered my wreath with the large butterflies, I used the same colored medium and small butterflies to fill in any holes or to add more bulk to my wreath.  I also twisted up some of the wings to give them more dimension.


To complete the wreath, I glued on a piece of yellow ribbon to the back of the wreath for hanging.  Because it is made of styrofoam it was not very heavy.   The hanger is actually just a tack with a butterfly glued onto the top of it.


Thanks for checking out my blog.  I hope I've inspired you to think of your favorite colors to craft with and you will join us over at Crafter's Companion Monthly Challenge blog!

I am entering my wreath in the following challenges:

The Corrosive Challenge blog - Flutter by
Order of the Opus Gluei Challenge - Three Dee
Hotshot Craft - Butterflies
Simply Create Too - Use your Stash

Have a great day!

Denise

6 comments:

Dawn's Craft Place said...

This is totally fabulous!!! My type of project, using lots of supplies and fussy cutting!
Thanks for sharing this beauty

Mian said...

This wreath is really beautiful and such a brilliant idea! Love it!

Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us this fortnight at Simply Create Too.
Best of luck and we'd love to have you visit again!

Mian
Simply Create Too Design Team Member
http://mianspysselhorna.blogspot.com

DianeMoneyGoolsby said...

Denise: Your wreath is wonderful! Isn't this a fun way to use your stash! Thanks for joining in our "Use Your Stash - Challenge #26" at Simply Create Too. Come by tomorrow, 23 Nov, for our next great challenge

Diane
Simply Create Too DesignTeam
http://DianesDigitalDesigns.blogspot.com

Electra said...

This is so pretty! You have much more patience that I do, that's for sure. But I would love to have something as pretty as this on display in my home! Thanks for joining us at Opus Gluei, your project is perfect for our challenge!

Rosemary said...

Spectacular project, I love the hard work and time to create this amazingly gorgeous wreath. It's not only stunning to look at but you used stash, extra points for that. Thank you so much for playing with us at Opus Gluei for our 3-D theme, this certainly fits the bill beautifully.

craftymum said...

A stunning piece of work. Thank you for joining us at HSC for our Butterfly challenge.
hugs sarah x