Thursday, August 30, 2012

Using stamps and alcohol inks on transparencies


Today I have a fun tutorial for you that I made for Crafter's Companion USA using stamps and alcohol ink on transparencies and ribbon.  The new Sheena Douglass' Flying Colors stamps which will be launched next week at their store are absolutely perfect for this technique.


First, you will want to stamp several of the butterflies from Sheena Douglass' Flying Colors on a transparency using Staz-On black ink.  Because of the slick surface of the transparency, be careful not to move your stamp around or it will smudge the image.  You will also want to stamp these butterflies on some heavy card stock as well.


The Staz-on ink dries very quickly so you can move on to the next step after a couple of minutes.  To color the transparencies, I dropped several drops of three alcohol inks on the felt of my Adirondack Alcohol Ink Applicator.  You can see the lines of color on the picture below.   I also used a 15" x 18" Non-stick Craft Sheet so that I wouldn't stain my counter top.  (Since the kids were home, I had to do this in my kitchen so I could keep an eye on them).



To create the colors, I just patted the alcohol ink onto the backside of the stamped images on the transparency.  Make sure you color the backside of the image when doing this.  The alcohol ink will lift up the Staz-on ink otherwise.  The colors blend together beautifully on the slick surface.  Here's a close up of one of the butterflies.


I also ran my alcohol inks along the border of my 6" x 6" paper to create a matching border for my card.

And since that worked out so well, I decided to try running the ink along an iridescent white ribbon I had lying around in my stash.  I was really happy with how well it turned out.  It added the color, but still kept it's iridescent look.

After about 1/2 hour or so, I was able to cut out the colored butterflies on the transparency.  I also cut out the matching butterfly I had stamped out on my white card stock.  I glued the transparency butterflies to their matching white card stock butterfly using a clear drying glue. I mainly added the glue to the black portions of the butterflies, around the edges and center of the image.


To finish the card, I stamped the Flying Colors sentiment "Butterflies are self propelled Flowers" in the right hand corner of a white sheet of card stock and wrapped some ribbon around it on the left hand side.  I tied a bow as well, and added it to the top.  I bent the butterfly wings back a bit prior to gluing them down to the card to create a more three-dimensional image. Finally I mounted the white card stock to my colored card stock and glued it to a 6" x 12" folded white card stock.


I hope you've enjoyed my coloring tutorial and give this technique a try.  Let me know if you do, so I can come over to your blog and check it out.

Have a wonderful day :)

Denise

5 comments:

cebelica said...

What a great idea! Thanks for this tutorial. Your card turned out beautifully. Hugs! xx

Angi said...

Super gorgeous. Love the butterflies.

scrappingnomad said...

Great tutorial, love how you used them on different materials, and the card looks beautiful!

Staci said...

What beautiful butterflies! TFS.

Jan Garber said...

These butterflies are gorgeous! Thanks so much for the tutorial! I think I can do this!