Friday, July 6, 2012

Christmas Trellis Card

It's Christmas in July!  I love seeing Christmas projects in July, it really inspires me to get ahead in my card making.  Today's card that I made for Crafter's Companion USA blog is called a Trellis card. This is the first one that I've tried and it was so easy to make.  You can make them for any kind of occasion too, not just Christmas.



While I have a quick tutorial here, you can watch this fabulous video tutorial from Christina.  She inspired me to give this type of card a try.  

I started with the inside of the card, so my Christmas tree would have time to dry.  First, I cut out a green tree and yellow star from the Chrstmas Cheer Cricut cartridge.  I applied a thick layer of Gold Stickles on the star and thin layer of Crystal Stickles to the tree. I then set it aside to let them dry.

Next, I cut out a square shape out of the front of my 5 x7 card.  Any kind of shape will work.  With the leftovers of my card stock, I cut up a bunch of 1/4" strips.  Then, on the inside my card, I began gluing down the strips diagonally across my cut out square, cutting off any excess on the ends.  I didn't measure the distances, just eyeballed it.   


Once those strips were done, I began to weave strips of paper through them, alternating going over and under each strip and glueing down the edges.


I decided to add some vellum to my lattice, so I cut out a piece of vellum that was a little bigger than the lattice and glued it down against the lattice on the inside of the card.  These cards also look great without it though, if you don't have any on hand.  I made sure to only add glue to the outside of the vellum, so none would show in the lattice.   

Next, I cut another square shape on 5x7 piece of paper and glued it down to the inside of the card, making sure to line up the two squares.  This covers all the glued down pieces on the inside.  You can also just lay down a solid piece of paper here if you prefer.  For my project though, I wanted the tree to show through the vellum.  


Once my tree was dry, I glued the star to the top of it and added it to the inside of my card. 


For the front of the card, I colored this sweet santa puppy from our new Crafter's Companion Mulberry Wood stamp collection.  This delightful line of stamps has all kinds of festive woodland animals.  I colored my stamp with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers.  


After cutting out my stamped image and sentiment, I attached them to the bottom of the card with Double Sided Adhesive Foam Circles.   A few flowers and leaves completed the card.  Here is my card lying flat.  You can really see the tree peaking through the trellis.



I hope you'll give this type of card a try.  If you do, let me so I can check it out!


I am entering my card in the following challenges:



Papertake Weekly - Anything goes
Crafty Bloggers Network - anything goes
Hooked on Craft challenges - Christmas in July
Lollipop Crafts - Christmas in July

Have a lovely weekend!


Denise

4 comments:

Ang said...

What a clever idea, I love the card. Thanks for joining us at the Crafty Bloggers Network Challenge

anazelia said...

what a beautiful card denise.

Angi said...

Gorgeous. Love how you made this.

Cheryl said...

LOVE your Christmas lattice card!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. :)