Sunday, September 11, 2011

Double twisted easel card (Tutorial included)

*** I have a Double Twisted Easel card tutorial at the end of this post.  It's super easy to make and you'll definitely want to give it a try!***

It's time for another great challenge over at Paper Playtime.  This week's challenge is to create an Easel Card.  I decided I wanted to go a little further and make a double twisted easel card.  I just think they look so cool and are really simple to make.  I'll show you how to do it in a bit, but first I wanted to share my card with you.



I went totally girly with this card.  The beautiful ornate paper is from Quick Quotes, as is the "Dream" quote.  To add a little color, I chalked behind the quote before gluing it down with V2.  The Fairy digital image is from Whimsy Stamps and I have been dying to stamp and color it, which I did with Copic markers.  You can find it here. I also added a little glitter on her wings with some Glimmer Glam.



In the bottom half of the card, I added lots of Prima flowers and a bit of with lace.  Yummy!  The larger turquoise flower is not only gorgeous but keeps the two sides of the card standing up.


Okay, here's a quick & easy tutorial on how to make this cool card.

To start you need a square piece of paper.  The bigger the card you want the bigger the square.  For this tutorial, I started with a 7" square.

First, fold the card in half like you would any other card.


Next, you are going to cut your card from the top middle of your card down to the fold of the card
 (3 1/2 inches down).


Now that you have cut the card, you are going to fold back one of the sides of the fold.  You will start at the top middle (where the cut starts) and fold the paper back toward the side of the card, as shown.

Then make the same fold on the other side of your card. That's it for cutting and folding.  So you should have one cut and three folds total for the base of the card.

For the top of the card, you will place glue on the two folded down pieces.  Only put glue where I have marked it.  I like to use liquid glue for this next step so I can move the paper around until it's perfect.


On each of the marked glue sections, you are going to place a 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 square piece of paper.  When you are adhering it,  only the 1/2 the square will have adhesive on it.  You will want to line up the square along the bottom and sides, making sure you can still close the card.  


And that's it.   Once you've made one of these, you won't need directions again.  Once I had my base done, I quickly put together the rest of my card.



The last thing you will need to remember is to make sure you have a three dimensional embellishment in the center of the bottom half of your card.  The embellishemnt will keep the sides open.  You can see mine below are some small 3-D flowers.  

I hope you've enjoyed the tutorial and make one of your own.  If you do, let me know so I can stop by and check out yours :)

I am entering my cards at the following challenge blogs :

The Paper Variety - use a stamp (used a digital whimsy fairy stamp in the first card)
Flutterby Wednesday - Use a fairy
Fresh Brewed Designs - use something new (my digital fairy stamp is new)
Simon Says Stamps Challenge blog - Multifold cards/creations (I linked it twice, one for each card)
Truly Scrumptious Challenges - Decorate the inside of your card
Stampin for the weekend - Use lots of pink
Whoopsi Daisy Challenge - More than one fold

Thanks for taking a look :)

Denise



26 comments:

Sabrina said...

Beautiful, Denise!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us =) xoxo.

Amy's Designs said...

Very cute

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

So fun and creative! Thanks for the tutorial!

Babe O'Mara said...

Your card is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial. Great job.

Babe

Carrie K said...

Beautiful card! I have made a twisted easel card but I have never seen a double one before. Gonna have to try this!!

Khristen said...

Love it, both of those cards are beautiful! And I'm drooling over those gorgeous flowers...

Stacy H-W said...

I love those cards!! I have never seen this kind of card before and I am off to make one right now!! lol Great inspiration!!

Tara said...

I love both of these cards, those flowers on the first one are gorgeous and thanks for the awesome tutorial!
Tara
tarashomemadehappiness.blogspot.com

Lisette Morris said...

OMG!!! This is a great idea!! Thanks for showing it. I am definately going to try it. Your cards are gorgeous! Love the flowers and colors of the top one and the princess card is adorable with the dress and wand.

Celeste said...

Your cards are absolutley stunning... Love them both.

Glenda said...

Gorgeous card! Thanks for sharing the tutorial! I must try this card style!
Glenda

debby4000 said...

Oh what a wonderful card, love the style of card. Great pics of how to do it, very tempted to have a go.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamps Challenge.
luv
Debby

JinkyK said...

Oh what a gorgeous card Denise! I love the technique, colors ...love everything in it!

Danni said...

How clever!! Very pretty card and so unique! Thank you for playing along with my flutter by challenge!

madebyKarla said...

Hi Denise, you're a winner! Come by my blog to check it out :)

Thanks for this awesome tutorial! Can't wait to try it.

Sheryl said...

Hi Denise! You have made two beautiful cards! very unique! Great tutorial too!
Thank you for joining us at Freshly Brewed Challenges for our "Use Something New" challenge!
Hugs Sheryl

Hippieaud (aka Audrey) said...

Oh Denise, I am LOVING this card!! I am definitely going to try this tutorial. Thanks so much for the inspiration!! Also, so glad to have you playing along this week at WHOOPSI DAISY:)

Mandy said...

Beautiful card,lovely image and colour combo,Great tutorial to...Thanks for sharing with us at Truly Scrumptious...
Mandy x

Beth said...

Wow Denise love this have never seen a double twist very very cool and pretty,thanks so much for sharing this with us at Whoopsi Daisy this week and good luck.
Hugs
Beth

Marlies said...

A beautiful card with a lovely shape! Thanks for the tutorial! And thanks for joining us at Truly Scrumptious.
hugs, Marlies

Beth said...

Hi Denise back again just wanted to let you know I posted a card on my blog using your tutorial and gave you credit, thanks again.
Hugs
Beth

Beth said...

Hi Denise back again just wanted to let you know I posted a card on my blog using your tutorial and gave you credit, thanks again.
Hugs
Beth

The Stamper's Touch said...

Absolutely stunning!!! And a big thank you for the tutorial too! Thanks for joining us at the month long "something new" challenge at Freshly Brewed.

Linda

2amscrapper said...

great tutorial! I'm going to try this!

MD said...

waouhhhhhhhhhhhh super bravo

Sylvia Anderson said...

I love this card, I've made a few, Your card is stunning x