Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Copic classes

So, I have to tell you, I am completely in love with Copics now.  I was a really nervous about the classes because I honestly can't draw a straight line.  After I took 3 classes with Jennie Black (she used to teach Copic cert classes as well), I really felt like I was getting the hang of both the marker and shading to some extent.  I learned that having a nice paper is huge.  I had been coloring just regular printer paper with them. No wonder the markers bled everywhere!

I have to say that I learned quite a bit more from Jennie's classes than the certification class.  Not that I didn't like the cert class, I did.  But the regular classes were more hands on, lots of feedback, and correction.  The certification was more of a lecture class, though there was some coloring we did.  And I learned a LOT about Copic markers during it too.  You also have to finish the regular certification class before you can take the intermediate class.  I really want to do this at some point.   Hopefully, they will get more of them on the calendar.  They are pretty tough to find near me.

The really cool thing about the certification class was that it was taught by Marianne Walker.  She has been with Copics almost since the beginning they were introduced in the U.S.  She is also the author of Shadows & Shading.  I am really looking forward to reading it.

Okay, so after a day of classes, I colored this cute Crafter's Companion image during the Cert. class.


I need to work on my shadows and blending, but all in all, I am really happy with my first card :)   It looks so much better than when I use pencils.

The best part of the weekend though, was being able to do all this fun stuff with my bff, Stacy.  We had so much fun chatting and laughing all weekend long.  We ate (I kid you not) at the same Mexican restaurant 3 days in a row because it was sooo good!  On Monday, I made her go to breakfast with me there.  Yummy!  She was so cute, she got us matching BFF bracelets.  I picked the pink one, and she was relieved to get the green one.  LOL.

So, if you are interested in using Copics, go for it!  Take a class at a local scrapbook store and try it out.  It's not tough at all, as long as you have the right paper and someone to show you how to blend the colors together.

That's it for today.  Have a great evening :)

Denise

11 comments:

Kristie said...

Great job, Denise! I'm glad you enjoyed the classes. I recently took 2 classed with Suzanne Dean and they were immensely helpful in improving my coloring!

Marlene said...

YAY! You did a beautiful job! So glad you're lovin' the copics. I love 'em, too! Fabulous card...cute image!

Nati Tristan said...

I want to take a copic class as well! That must of been fun! Plus you have been doing a wonderful job!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

WoW! Great work!

Angi @ CokiePop said...

Super adorable. I've been thinking of taking a class. :)

Uhooi said...

cards are nice and funny,,

Uhooi.blogspot.com

Oliko said...

Oooh you lucky girl!:) There are no Copic classes in my country (unless I run them ;) )
The picture you've coloured is simply amazing! I love it to bits and can't wait to see more of your Copic pictures:)

O.
http://scrap-heaps.blogspot.com

jacque4u2c said...

WOW!!! You are already doing amazing things - how exciting!

Lorianna said...

Looks GREAT!!!
I am attending a Certified Beginers Copics class in June, for which the class is full already!!!
So glad I got in!! Actually we are gonna stay right in the hotel, and make it a mini overnight vacation!!!

CuddlyBunny said...

Beautiful job on the bear and flowers, and it's so great to read about your wonderful experience!

JustYolie said...

Beautiful card...love your Copic coloring.